12 July, 2021

One last look


To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying,
The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.
West, west away, the round sun is falling.
Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling,
The voices of my people that have gone before me?
I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling,
In Eressëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,
Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!

- Legolas, upon hearing the gulls' cry at Pelargir

At this point we could feel that sensation known to all travelers; that the journey was nearing its end.  We strolled the harbor, taking in the sights and sounds of Portland, trying to absorb all we could on our last evening here.

The memory of the gulls calling would follow us home, a stirring reminder of this place and its unique character.

 

















This was supposed to be a single panoramic shot of the harborfront.  Technology!

The Sea Bags sign marks the manufactory where the recycled sailcloth bags that we brought back with us are made; Jen's bucket bag and the little zipper pouch I carry in my overnight bag.



Fresh fish, straight from the nets.



Smokestack?  If you look more closely, you can see the stalwart sentinel perched atop.



Dinner at Le Petite Jacqueline, al fresco in the beautiful evening air.