20 May, 2022

Egypt Delayed

So much more has happened since our initial plans for Egypt.  The pandemic continues to impact travel, especially to Africa.  My son has elected to change his degree plan to a Master's in order to leave Lubbock early; the place was not good for or to him.  He is with us now, which has returned our home to a state of bustling, happy chaos.

So Egypt will need to wait for awhile.  A month after our trip was to have happened, I write this and still very much look forward to seeing the land that has so long captivated me.  At this point, we are aiming for 2024, my 50th birthday.  I think the date will not be moved again.

Jen has also expressed that she would like to see Jordan as its own trip instead of as a side journey to this one.  I don't think this is unreasonable, but I do wonder if we'd ever get to it.  I'd rather see it during this trip instead of not at all.

I will confess that the pandemic really has been hard to cope with.  Not just from a travel standpoint, but its interference with all aspects of our lives.  It serves as a symbol of the arrogance and inflexibility of humankind.  We cannot get past it because we refused to properly quarantine, and now it will probably be a fact of life like influenza.