12 August, 2022

Getting there is half the fun

I do love to travel, and a lot of the fun is in the preparation; how to pack, what to bring, trying to reduce one's necessaries to what can fit into a packing case that best fits the travel itinerary.   In this case, we need to be quite mobile, as we would be moving multiple times.  This isn't something I've done much, so I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn.  For example, I tend to overpack.  I like being prepared, and try to have contingencies.  That isn't practical when space is at a premium.  So, compromise.



The trip to London is a bit daunting with my heart misbehaving.  It's an "overnight" flight, as the plane departs Austin in the late afternoon and arrives at Heathrow mid-morning.  If you can't sleep on the plane (and I have never been able to), it's a rough journey.






The Heathrow Express into Paddington station is a pleasant ride.  The scenery isn't terribly exciting, but it's comfortable and quiet.




We finally made it to the Notting Hill Gate station and walked to the hotel, which was a great relief after many sleepless hours of travel.  The Portobello staff was kind enough to have our room ready a couple of hours early.  I think that us parking our very tired selves in the lobby likely helped a lot!

The lounge and office areas of the hotel are not air conditoned, which was less than ideal given the heat wave London currently endures.  Fortunately, the rooms are.

Interestingly, my heart, which had been acting up since the airport in Austin, chose to settle down while we were waiting for our room.  The circumstances under which these episodes occur continue to baffle me.  Hopefully some answers will be forthcoming. 









I love hotels with character.  They add so much to the tone of a trip and the Portobello is one of my favorites.